Uses & Benefits Of Pine Straw Mulch
Pine straw is basically the shed leaves of pine trees. Also known as pine needle or simply as needles, the leaves shedding naturally qualify as pine straw, not plucked or otherwise. Pine straw is a popular material used as mulch. The uses of pine straw mulch are not very varied but within the scope of its utility, there can be diverse uses. For instance, pine straw mulch is used in landscaping. It doesn’t have to be a lawn, a garden or a yard. It could just be the area around the house which has no planned plantation nor any kind of natural weeds, shrubs or bushes. The uses of pine straw are not confined to private homes or residential properties. Commercial establishments, resorts, golf courses and various types of properties also have pine straw mulch used in a few ways.
Benefits of Pine Straw Mulch
Pine straw mulch is used in gardens, yards and for general landscaping for a few reasons, all of which are also the benefits.
· Pine straw prevents the erosion of top soil. Erosion of top soil can happen due to strong winds and due to running or even pooling water. The wind doesn’t have to be very strong to erode the top soil. Wind can cause erosion even at gentle speeds or when it is plain normal breeze. Obviously the impact is not noticeable immediately. All such types of erosion can be prevented with pine straw mulch.
· Pine straw can prevent water damage caused to the soil. It can also reduce the need of water to maintain the moisture levels in the soil. Pine straw can provide some degree of insulation to the soil that helps in retention of the natural moisture. This also helps in keeping the soil cool during summers and relatively warm during winters. In other words, pine straw mulch can prevent wild fluctuations in soil temperature.
· Pine straw has a certain degree of aesthetics which naturally contributes to the overall appearance of a garden, yard or landscape. It can reduce the growth of weeds which also contributes to the appearance of the place.
· Pine straw mulch facilitates soil aeration. It also improves drainage and the structure of the soil. Owing to its organic components, pine straw improves the fertility of the soil over time.
· Pine straw is easy to install, it is eco-friendly, affordable and relatively simple to rearrange and maintain.